Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Return of the Ancestors gathering & more

Well hello again my friends. The last month has been a wave of experience that carried me to many amazing places with so much to be learned, and so many wonderful people to enjoy.

I finished up my drum carving project at Gemini farm at the beginning of April, and soon after made my way to Sedona, Arizona for the Return of the Ancestors gathering. I didn't exactly "have money" or "know anyone," but my surrender to the guidance I felt to be there led me to some amazing people, and I was well taken care of. Some Quebecians took me in from the beginning, so I had a great group to camp & counsel with for me tenure at the event.

The premise of the gathering was to unite native/indigenous elders from all over the world so they could share their prayers and visions for the turbulent changes that are sweeping through the world, as well as to simply share traditional wisdom and ceremonial space. I must say it was quite a learning experience! I would also add that the majority of my personal growth came not directly from the scheduled gathering events, but rather from the youth counsels and collective interactions that were held outside the gathering. I was amazed at the multitude of open-hearted souls I met throughout the event, and can't express the gratitude I feel for all the music, food, and conversation I shared over these past weeks.

I would say one of the highlights of the adventure was a sunrise ceremony at the Grand Canyon. A couple hundred people gathered at a GC lookout with drums, shakers, and all sorts of wonderful magic, and we sang and danced and played as the sun rose over the horizon. It was marvelous! It made me wonder why I don't have a sunrise/set ceremony every day. It is, afterall, one of the most universal occurences of the planet. And an amazing way to dial into natural rhythms day by day. Yes, I will seek to manifest this vision of shared daily sunrise ceremony. Waking and feeling the heat on my face and expressing the joy through song and dance. And then walking away with the whole day ahead of me, bright and full to be sure. Yes, I will do it. We will do it.

1 comment:

  1. Reading about your sunrise ceremony reminded me of our trip to the Grand Canyon when the kids were young. We, however, went during sunset. I thought that the kids would be bored sitting waiting for the sun to set, but just as the sun lowered over the horizon, all of the visitors applauded like at the end of a fabulous performance. As we gathered the kids and got in the car to leave Kelsie said to me...can we come back tomorrow? The wonder of children:)

    ReplyDelete